WordPress.com VS WordPress.org – What’s the difference?
Let’s talk about WordPress.com First!
- This is a free to use platform that is free forever
- You can choose to pay for upgrades later
- It’s a website, it’s a blog
- You will have limitations
- They display ads on your site
- They limit the amount of space you can use
- You cannot upload any free or paid plugins or custom themes
- You only have access to the few they give you
- You cannot modify the CSS or other codes
- This limits the extent of branding yourself
- Not allowed to monetize
- Users are not permitted to sell ads on your website
- At 25,000 page views monthly – you would be able to apply for ad control IF you qualifyRevenue must be split 50/50 with them going forward.
- You can have a subdomain on the free level
- Your website has wordpress.com in it.
- No control
- You don’t own your content or the blog. WordPress does
- Free hosting is essentially renting your website
- You give away your rights to your content
Free hosting on WordPress.com you essentially are renting your website.
Let’s talk about WordPress.org now! (This is what I recommend and use!)
- You will have a monthly cost to house your website
- WordPress.org gives you the software that wordpress.com uses FOR FREE
- You have to buy hosting and a domain name to install it on
- You cannot install it on your personal computer & display it to the internet (Only you would be able to see it if it’s installed on your personal computer)
- Websites live on Web Servers in Data Centers.
- No panicking, hosting is usually just a few dollars a month
- You get unlimited possibilities
- You are able up upload any theme you wish
- You can hire a designer to create a custom branded one or you can download a premade one from the millions of options on the internet
- You get any functionality you wish by installing plugins
- There are millions of free options as well as premium options
- You get full theme support + the ability to modify the code any way you need
- You can have access to analytics and tracking as well
- You can monetize your website!
- You’re able to start implementing affiliate programs, install paid ads, install ecommerce & so much more with the plugins available on the free marketplace or that you purchase from a developer.
- You get to keep 100% of your earnings!
- Custom domain!
- You can have any domain name you purchase
- No branding from your host. injected into your name
- Full control
- You own your data & have full control over it’s usage.
Self hosting you OWN your website instead of rent it.
Generate Leads & Passive Income With A Membership Site
Leaders in E-commerce, Membership & eLearning websites for Entrepreneurs!